- Abel & Cole have reported a 32% increase in sales to £46.5m for the year to August 2012. EBITDA increased to £4.6m from £2.9m for the same period. (Source: Retail Week) – Arnold Clarke have reported a 1% decrease in sales to £2.25bn for the year 2011. Pre-tax profit increased to £51.7m from £50.5m for the same period. (Source: BBC) – Bargain Booze have reported a 3.9% increase in sales to £395.3m for the year to 30 April 2012. Pre-tax profit decreased by 7.7% to £11.5m for the same period. (Source: The Grocer) – Dunelm have reported a 13.8% increase in total sales to £151.8m for the 13 weeks to 29 September 2012. Like-for-like sales increased by 3% for the same period. – Findel have reported a 7.9% increase in Group sales for the 26 weeks to 28 September 2012. – Halfords have reported a 6.2% increase in Group sales for the 26 weeks to 28 September 2012. Retail sales and like-for-like sales increased by 4.3% and 4.6% respectively for the same period.
- John Lewis have reported a 26.5% increase in sales (including VAT) for the week to 29 September 2012. Fashion, Electricals & Home Technology and Home sales increased by 36%, 31.8% and 13% respectively. Sales at johnlewis.com increased by 48.4%. – New Look have reported a 30% increase in like-for-like EBITDA to £61.1m for the year to August 2012. (Source: The Telegraph) – Sainsburys have reported a 4.3% increase in total sales for the 16 weeks to 29 September 2012. Like-for-like sales increased by 1.9% for the same period. – Ted Baker have reported a 15.4% increase in Group sales to £118.6m for the 28 weeks to 11 August 2012. UK and European retail sales increased by 7.9% to £74.7m, ecommerce sales by 82.4% to £6.2m and profit before tax and exceptional costs increased by 10.4% to £9.4m for the same period. – Tesco have reported a 1.4% increase in Group sales (including VAT) to £36bn for the 26 weeks to 25 August 2012. Group pre-tax profit decreased by 11.6% to £1.7bn while UK sales increased by 2.2% to £23.9bn for the same period. – Waitrose have reported a 6.9% increase in sales (including petrol) for the week to 29 September 2012.
Higher sales were reported in many non-fashion categories helped by the weak comparisons. Gifting and leisure were the best performing categories, while beauty and luxury also performed strongly.
Fashion had its best week this year with elevated growth reported by the vast majority of stores. Weak comparisons aside, seasonal ranges continued to sell well with formalwear and footwear the best performing categories.
Homewares registered a marginal fall in trade undoing last weeks gains. Mixed trading patterns occurred with textiles and lighting outperforming, while furniture and accessories struggled.
The recent good run across non-store channels continued with the vast majority of stores recording double-digit growth.
Clothing, Footwear & Accessories
- Asos have appointed Brian McBride as their new Chairman, replacing Lord Waheed Alli at the beginning of November 2012. (Source: The Telegraph) – Jacques Vert have appointed Sarah Morris as their Group Trading Director, effective 08 October 2012. (Source: Drapers Online) – Celebrities and fashionistas are getting all strung up this season with the latest pair of killer heels from renowned footwear designer Jimmy Choo. As part of the Cruise 13 collection, Jimmy Choo introduces the Taste sandal worn by Azealia Banks, Elizabeth Banks, Ginnifer Goodwin and Kristin Stewart.
- Joe Brown have appointed Michael Bates as their new Managing Director and have appointed former Managing Director, Simon Brown, as their Brand Director. (Source: Retail Week) – Matalan have announced that they are to create 5,000 temporary jobs across their stores in the run up to Christmas. (Source: Retail Gazette) – It is reported that Mint Velvet have opened their 12th standalone store in Reigate, Surrey. (Source: Retail Bulletin) – Clothes Show Live has teamed up with legendary brand UCLA to sponsor ‘The Varsity Project: Emerging Designer Award in association with Clothes Show Live‘. The award is aimed specifically at emerging student designers to give the iconic American style varsity jacket their own unique stamp.
- Ted Baker have opened their first store in Beijing, China. (Source: Express)
Electrical & Entertainment
- Amazon have announced that they are to recruit 10,000 temporary staff over the Christmas period to support high demand at their fulfilment centres in the UK. (Source: The Telegraph) – Dixons Retail Plc have appointed Jaan Ivar Semlitsh as their new Managing Director for Northern Europe.
Food & Drink
- Aldi have announced plans to invest £181m to open 40 new stores and create 4,500 jobs in the UK by the end of 2013. (Source: Financial Times) – It is reported that Morrisons have appointed Gordon Mowat to the newly created role of Managing Director at their M Local business. (Source: Retail Week) – Sainsburys have announced that they are to relax their rules on the cosmetic appearance on fresh produce following one of the worst growing seasons British farmers have experienced for decades. (Source: Retail Week)
- Argos have launched a new gifting service for businesses, allowing them to select from 15,000 products to give to their employees and customers for instant redemption. (Source: Retail Bulletin) – Jeff Fagan has joined Go Outdoors as their new Retail Director, effective 01 October 2012. (Source: Retail Week) – Harvey Nichols have announced that they are to open their first Christmas pop-up store in Westfield Merry Hill, West Midlands, effective 06 October 2012. (Source: Retail Bulletin)
- It is reported that Mothercare have appointed Philippe Dayraud as their Global Product & Sourcing Director. (Source: Retail Week) – Optical Express have announced that they are to close 40 stores of their subsidiary business while buying-back the remaining 40 as part of the administration process. (Source: Retail Week) – It is reported that Poundland have opened their new 200,000 square foot distribution centre in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, creating 250 new jobs. (Source: The Grocer) – Sports Direct have acquired 20 stores of JJB Sports from administrator KPMG for £23.7m, saving 550 jobs. (Source: Reuters) – Wiggle have appointed Peter Williams, Dilys Maltby and John Crosby to their newly created advisory board. (Source: Retail Week)
Courtesy of ‘The Thinker‘